Grant Monument Association
(formally The General Grant National Memorial)
W 122nd St & Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10027
maintained and sponsored
by The Grant
About Support Us
Tomb: An Overview
Design CharacteristicsDedicated in 1897, Grant's Tomb is the second
largest mausoleum in the Western Hemisphere (the Garfield Memorial is
Rendered in an eclectic neoclassical style, the
monument is adorned by Doric columns on the lower level and a cupola
It rises 150 feet above the ground and over 280 feet above the
banks of the Hudson River.
View of Grant's Tomb from the Hudson River
- South, East and North Elevations
from the original archiectural drawings
From Riverside Drive
The architect of the monument, John H. Duncan, envisioned "a Monumental Tomb, no matter from what point of view it may be seen."
The structure symbolically faces south.
on the final design included
the facade of the Tomb is the epitaph, "LET US HAVE PEACE," a quote
taken from Grant's acceptance of the Republican nomination for
president that would
characterize the ultimate aims of his public
career. Allegorical figures probably representing Victory and Peace
(sculpted by J. Massey Rhind)
are depicted on either side of the sign, marking Grant's importance both in war and in peace.
the four pendentives in the interior of the Tomb are relief sculptures,
also by Rhind, with allegorical representations of Grant's
|Birth - note the tree of life and
figures holding symbols of education and the home.||Military Life
figures hold emblems used in war.||Civilian Life
accompanying the figures are symbols of victory, prosperity, and
Grant's authority as president.||Death - symbols of death, (possibly)
strength, and eternity are held by the figures.|
The interior is largely made of Carrara and Lee marble from Italy.
Inside a circular crypt, on ground level, are sarcophagi containing the remains of President and Mrs. Grant.
The sarcophagi are made of red granite from Montello, Wisconsin, and each weighs 8˝ tons. Click on the pictures above for
a larger image in a new window ...
Click on the Person's Name to link to more biographical information ...
Artwork and Furnishings
In 1966, mosaic murals by Allyn Cox were added to three lunettes inside Grant's Tomb.
The murals portray scenes from three of Grant's greatest campaigns.
Grant (on horseback) during the Vicksburg Campaign (November 1862 - July 1863).
Grant on Missionary Ridge, to the right of General George H. Thomas (November 25, 1863).
General Robert E. Lee surrenders to Grant at Appomattox Court House (April 9, 1865).
|The Tomb also contains two
with murals by Dean Fausett that feature
themes as well as maps depicting the theater of the Civil War.
|Locations of battles are indicated by crossed sabers.|
Grant's battles are indicated with a star.
the center of the reliquary room are bronze trophy cases containing
replicas of Civil War battle flags.|
Behind the Tomb is a Chinese memorial on the site of Grant's temporary tomb.
Enclosed by a black fence, this site contains a
Chinese-English plaque and a ginko tree planted on behalf of
Li Hung Chang, the Chinese viceroy who had met and
developed a friendship with Grant during the latter's trip around the world.
The Overlook PavilionOn
April 27, 2011, the long awaited reopening of the newly restored
overlook pavilion across the street from Grant’s Tomb finally took
place as part of the day’s Grant birthday commem-oration. Adorned with
red, white, and blue bunting and ribbon, the spruced up neoclassical
structure was in brilliant form—a stark contrast to the state of
disrepair that had character-ized the site over the preceding four
The brief reopening ceremony began at 10 a.m. in the
presence of a crowd that included student groups, community leaders,
and members of the Grant family. Following remarks by National Park
Service Public Affairs Officer Darren Boch, National Parks of New York
Harbor Commissioner Maria Burks, New York City Parks Commissioner
Adrian Benepe, Assemblyman Daniel O’Donnell, and Community Board 9
Chairperson Larry English, the ribbon across the overlook was cut and
thepavilion was officially open to the public.The
event marks a welcome development and a new chapter in the history of
Grant’s Tomb. For years, the site had suffered from the lack of
restrooms, which were provided in the lower level of the facility for
the approximately half a century it was in use following its
construction in 1910.
Over the years, the Tomb itself came to house a
gift shop and exhibits of a temporary nature—several historical panels
with text and photos and display cases with artifacts —that were widely
considered to detract from the reverent atmosphere originally intended
for the Tomb.
Those have now been moved to the lower level of the
overlook, except for the historical exhibit panels, which have been
replaced entirely and located in a new presentation room in the
pavilion that has audio-visual equipment and seating for groups. In the
back of that room, the largest in the facility, sit the display cases,
including a modelcopyright 2016 - Grant Monument Association